In this tutorial we are going to cover the full setup process on how to Sync a Google Apps account with Outlook 2010. Before we begin the setup with Outlook 2010, we first need to make sure that IMAP is enabled inside your Google Apps account.
In almost all cases, you can get to your login screen for Google Apps by typing in http://mail.yourdomainnamehere.com. Once you have logged into your account, you either click settings in the top right-hand corner or you left click the sprocket in the top right-hand corner and click “Mail Settings” to access the settings section.
From the settings menu, you will want to click “Forwarding and POP/IMAP.” This will bring up your options for enabling or disabling POP/IMAP. Please be sure that IMAP is enabled or Outlook 2010 will not be able to establish a connection with the Google servers. Please be sure to hit “Save Changes” so the settings apply.
1. Open Outlook.
2. Click Files in the navigation bar, and select Add Account…
3. On the E-mail tab, click New…
4. If you are prompted to Choose E-mail Service, select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, orHTTP, and click Next.
5. Enter your display name, email address (including ‘@gmail.com’), and password. Google Apps users, enter your full email address, e.g. ‘username@your_domain.com.’
6. Select the ‘Manually configure server settings or additional server types‘ checkbox.
7. Select Internet E-mail.
8. Settings: name, full email address (including ‘@gmail.com’ or ‘@your_domain.com’)
-In the Account Type dropdown menu, select IMAP. In the ‘Incoming server name’ section, enter: imap.gmail.com and in the ‘Outgoing server name (SMTP)’ section, enter: smtp.gmail.com.
-In the ‘User Name’ field, give your full Gmail address, including ‘@gmail.com’ or ‘@your_domain.com.’
-After creating these settings, clicking More Settings.
9. Select the Advanced tab.
-Incoming server must be 993, and must use SSL encryption.
-Outgoing server can use 587, TLS encryption.
10. Click the Outgoing Server tab. Make sure that ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication’ is selected. The radio button ‘Use same settings as my incoming mail server’ should also be selected.
11. Click OK, then click Next. After test is completed, hit Close, and Finish.